The Cathedral Basilica of St Stanislaus and St Ladislaus in Vilnius: A Guide
Translator: Katarzyna Korzeniewska (in Polish), Diana Ickoviči and Pavel Lavrinec (in Russian), Aušra Simanavičiūtė (in English)
Photographers: Arūnas Baltėnas, Gedas Čiuželis, Piotr Jamski, Evaldas Lasys, Antanas Lukšėnas, Aloyzas Petrašiūnas, Kęstutis Stoškus, Birutė Vijeikienė
Designer: Gedas Čiuželis
English copy editor: Joseph Everatt
Supported by: Vilnius Archdiocese, Lithuanian Council for Culture, Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania, Vilnius Archcathedral
The Cathedral Basilica of St Stanislaus and St Ladislaus in Vilnius: A Guide. Compiled by Alina Pavasarytė. Vilnius: Church Heritage Museum, 2017, 96 p.
Vilnius Archcathedral Basilica of Saint Stanislaus and Saint Ladislaus is one of the earliest and most important Catholic temples in Lithuania. The historical and spiritual significance of the cathedral, which served the believers without interruption from the Christianization of Lithuania in 1387 to the middle of the twentieth century, and which was returned to them in 1988, is witnessed by the magnificent chapels endowed by nobles, masterpieces of painting, sculpture and goldsmith’s art from various periods, several dozens of memorial plaques, tombstone monuments and epitaphs.
A Guide to the Cathedral Basilica of St Stanislaus and St Ladislaus in Vilnius expands our acquaintance with the cathedral’s rich historical heritage and presents the history of the inseparable part of the cathedral – the bell tower – and its current exhibition.
The guidebook is published in Lithuanian, English, Polish and Russian.