Bells from the Church of All Saints in Vilnius
Carl Gottlieb Sparr, a craftsman from Vilnius, cast two different bells for the Ancient Observance Carmelite Church of All Saints in Vilnius in 1733.
The larger bell was named after the prophet Elijah, which is why its waist features a relief depicting the prophet with a flaming sword in his hand. On the opposite side of the bell, there is a scene of Crucifixion of Jesus, which includes the figures of the Mother of God, St John the Evangelist, and St Mary Magdalene. The bell is decorated with baroque-style ornamental bands of various widths along with rather lengthy inscriptions indicating ownership, the date of casting, the Carmelite motto, and the purpose for which the bell should be rung. The larger bell also includes Sparr’s signature.
For unknown reasons, the smaller bell, originally created in 1733 by Carl Gotliebb Sparr, was recast in 1912, reusing some of the previous decorative moulds. One side of the bell is decorated with a relief of St Mary Magdalene de Pazzi, a saint that was held in high regard in the community of the Ancient Observance Carmelites. The other side features the scene of Crucifixion of Jesus. Inscriptions on the instrument indicate it belonging to the Carmelites, as well as the date of recasting and who performed it.
In 1966 a total of three bells from the church of All Saints were taken down and moved to the bell tower of Vilnius Cathedral. In 2002 the smallest and oldest one was moved to the re-consecrated Church of St Bartholomew in Vilnius, while the other two have been on display at the Church Heritage Museum since 2009.
Carl Gottlieb Sparr
Inscriptions: “ZELO ZELA[T]VS SVM PRO DOMINO / A. D. 1733 DIE IVNII 23 VILNAE AD AEDES S[ANCTORVM] O[MNIVM]”,
„S[ANCTUS] P[ATER?] / ELIA”,
“DA PACEM DOMINE IN DIEBVS NOSTRIS”,
“GRZESZNYCH WZYWAM DO POKVTY WOLAIAC KAZDEY MINVTY PLACZE RZEWNO VMARLEGO ANIE BEDE ZA PEWNEGO / ME FECIT CAROL GOTTLIEB SPARR VILNAE”
V. Ferski, Piaseczno, Poland (?), 1912
(recast; originally 1733 by Carl Gottlieb Sparr)
Inscriptions: “CONVENTVS VILNENSIS SANCTORVM OMNIVM ORDINIS CARMEILTARVM (!) A[NTIQUAE] R[EGULARIS] O[BSERVANTIAE] A. D. 1733”,
“1912 R. LAŁ. W. FERSKI W PIASECZNIE”